By Penelope Vavura
President, PRSA Capital Region
Senior Counselor, Pierce Communications
What a phenomenal year 2011 was for Capital Region PRSA! At the beginning of the year, we created a to-do list, surveyed the membership, partnered with other organizations and came up with a plan.
With the time, talent and energy of many dedicated volunteers, we get to celebrate what we have accomplished throughout the year.
- We achieved and maintained a roster of more than 100 members for the first time in the history of the chapter.
- We’ll have hosted four receptions for members, free of charge (including the holiday party at Dinosaur Barbeque on Dec. 13 – if you haven’t registered yet, visit our event page).
- We hosted ten panel discussions and Wednesday Workshops.
- We created a new website, upgraded our social media presence and posted 75 blog entries.
- We hosted our first webinar.
- We created committees for Membership & Ambassadors, Programming, Communications and the Empire Awards.
- We hosted our most successful Empire Awards event with more than 125 guests who cheered awards for Outstanding Practitioner Tom Nardacci, Outstanding Communicator Dr. Alain Kaloyeros and a dozen public relations projects or programs.
- We drafted and received membership approval for our new bylaws.
- We began a relationship with the student-run Cardinal PR at Plattsburgh State and look forward to the mentoring the first Public Relations Student Society of America chapter in our region.
- We created a scholarship program for candidates interested in the APR certification and for membership.
Now, we need to hear from you again.
What did we do right? What needs improvement? What would you like to see on our program roster? What professional development skills are you looking to hone? How would you like to get involved?
Cheers to 2012!