Have a communications RFP to share or an opening for a communications/public relations professional at your agency, business or college? PRSA Capital Region is happy to post jobs and other opportunities free of charge for 30 days. E-mail us at PRSACapitalRegion@gmail.com.
Click on job titles for position descriptions and application information. Links will open in new windows.
Social Media Director
State University of New York at Albany
October 23, 2017
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The Social Media Director will oversee the University’s primary social media accounts and content while working collaboratively with OCM leaders and others to assess current efforts, develop a comprehensive strategy and internal communication tactics for the future.
- Oversee the University at Albany’s primary social media channels and make recommendations regarding channel strategy and opportunities for the University
- Set standards and ensure they present stories, photographs, video and other content regularly and professionally to advance University goals
- Identify and develop new practices to reach key constituents, including current and prospective students, faculty, staff and alumni, with content relevant to their interests
- Stay abreast of national and global trends in social and digital media, content strategy and engagement in higher education and media, and learn best practices and opportunities for the University
- Maintain University social media guidelines and brand standards
- Track and coordinate social media activities across the University, providing recommendations and leadership on effective social media practices
- Use research and analytics to guide University social media content strategy
- Identify and analyze existing data to inform content communications and engagement strategy and activities, and support market research and data collection efforts
- Bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- At least 3-5 years of direct experience managing social media on behalf of an organization that has multiple stakeholders
Communications Manager, Corporate Communications
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is seeking a Communications Manager in the Corporate Communications department to participate in developing and implementing a comprehensive, strategic and proactive corporate communications program that will build public awareness of NYSERDA’s objectives and accomplishments. The Communications Manager will serve to assist in integrating and coordinating program activities, events and announcements for internal and external audiences. This position requires a broad range of skills including speech writing, public relations, media relations, and internal communications skills, along with the ability and initiative to maintain an awareness and understanding of complex issues affecting NYSERDA and the energy industry.
The Communications Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Work directly with program staff to ascertain newsworthy announcements and potential events that can build awareness of the Authority’s mission and the advancement of Reforming the Energy Vision. Develop in-depth understanding of a variety of program areas and draft press releases and other materials to support these efforts.
- Serve as lead contact within the Authority for specific areas of expertise as assigned.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, as well as media outlets, in development of newsworthy announcements.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to program and management on communication of NYSERDA positions and initiatives with the goal of achieving positive feedback among external and internal constituencies.
- Draft briefing documents, speeches and messaging for executive management team for conferences, events and as requested.
- Work closely with social media colleagues to develop and execute NYSERDA messaging across social media platforms.
- Work closely with Asst. Director of Communications in the development of news releases, responses to inquiries and other media-related communications.
- Work jointly with other departments ensuring that all items meet the highest professional standards of accuracy, clarity and style. Liaise with internal departments including marketing, web and social media to provide for appropriate coverage and consistency of message.
- For significant and sensitive issues, work in consultation with the Director of Communications and Corporate Marketing and other executives as needed.
- Assist Director of Communications and Corporate Marketing by representing NYSERDA in dealings with counterparts in Governor’s Press Office and at other state agencies to promote cooperative relationships, coordinate positions and obtain approvals or concurrences as required.
- Build networks within NYSERDA, and at NY Green Bank, other energy agencies, and the Governor’s office.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- At least 5 years’ related experience directly working in a corporate or government environment communications department.
- The ability to assess potential effects of NYSERDA decisions on public attitudes and the ability to effectively apprise senior management of such factors
- Excellent journalistic, presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- The ability to express complex technical and organizational concepts in terms understandable to the news media and the public
- Demonstrated creative and proactive ability to think “outside the box” in providing direction for news stories with the media
- Ability to work well under pressure and a respect for the deadlines and requirements of the news media
- Skill in managing multiple diverse activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments and varying deadlines, and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgment
- Strong computer skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Puts the team first; a track record and predisposition toward investing in the success of colleagues
- Relentless work ethic
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy
- Resolute integrity
- Ability to work effectively with members of the news media, executives in NYSERDA, personnel in the Governor’s Press Office, colleagues in other state agencies and utility industry organizations
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples that demonstrate your ability to effectively communicate a sensitive or complicated issue to email@example.com. When applying, please include Communications Manager and position number 466PRSA in the Subject Line.
Page last updated October 23, 2017