PUBLIC RELATIONS SOCIEITY OF AMERICA (PRSA) CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER HONORS LOCAL PROFESSIONALS AND ORGANIZATIONS FOR EXCELLENCE IN COMMUNICATION
(Albany, N.Y.) – Penny Vavura, senior counselor at Pierce Communications, and Matt Baumgartner, owner of Bomber’s Burrito Bar Inc., will be honored as the Capital Region Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America hosts its annual Empire Awards on Tuesday, Jan. 29. The event will be held from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Treviso by Mallozzi’s in Albany, N.Y.
The Empire Awards were established in 2008 to celebrate and recognize excellence in projects and practitioners in the field of public relations. The competition is open to both PRSA members and non-members. In addition, two local professionals are presented with special awards: Outstanding Practitioner and Outstanding Communicator.
Vavura will be honored with the Outstanding Practitioner Award given to a Capital Region public relations professional who has achieved exceptional success, displayed the highest ethics and is dedicated to serving the community and industry. Previous awardees include Tom Nardacci, Gramercy Communications; Ben Marvin, The College of Saint Rose; and Jonathan Pierce, APR and Jo Ann LeSage Nelson, APR, both of Pierce Communications.
Baumgartner will be recognized with the Outstanding Communicator Award, given to a Capital Region professional who has demonstrated excellence in the field of communications. Previous awardees include Dr. Alain E. Kaloyeros, College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering; Ed Lewi, Ed Lewi Associates; Linda Hillman, Rensselaer County Regional Chamber of Commerce; and Pamela Sawchuk Brown, Eric Mower and Associates.
“Penny has been one of the Capital Region’s strongest advocates for the public relations field as well as one of its most effective leaders,” said Mike Lesczinski, President of PRSA Capital Region (NY). “Matt Baumgartner is one of our most well-known restaurateurs and is helping to place the region on the culinary map. We are excited to honor both of them as well as all of our finalists at this year’s awards as we recognize the best of the best in PR from the past year.”
Finalists for the awards include:
Category: Public Affairs Campaign, Non-profit
- AARP – Restoration of Funding for the Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Program
- American Cancer Society of New York and New Jersey – Ban the Teen Tan NY
- Corning Place Communications, on behalf of the NYS Professional Fire Fighters Association – Ordinary New Yorkers Doing an Extraordinary Job
- New York State Association of Counties?- NYSAC 2012 Advocacy Campaign
- Pierce Communications, on behalf of MVP Health Care – MVP Health Care Welcomes Home Abby Wambach
Category: Integrated Campaign
- Corning Place Communications, on behalf of The PBA of New York State?- Declaring Independence Requires a Strong Voice: The PBA of New York State
- United University Professions – If Only I Had Gotten Into SUNY
- The Community Hospice– Voice of Hospice Newsletter
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region– Uniquely United – United Way Nonprofit Resources E-Newsletter
The cost to attend the Empire Awards is $30 for PRSA members and $45 for non-members. For more information or to register, visit www.prsacapitalregion.org or the event registration page.
The Empire Awards are sponsored by Modern Press and Pierce Communications.